Thursday, October 31, 2013

Banana Coffee Cake-Muffins

Recipe from the kitchen of Pat Daniels

 2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tablespoon Postum or instant coffee
1 tablespoon hot water
1 1/3 cups mashed fully ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 egg
1 cup chocolate chips (milk or semi-sweet)

 Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Grease muffin tins.
Ingredients
 I made a double batch so picture amounts are double the recipe size.
Add dissolved Postum to mashed bananas and stir.   Mix dry ingredients in separate bowl and set aside.
Beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in egg.
Mix in banana mixture.
Stir in flour mixture until well blended.
Fold in chocolate pieces. Do not over mixing at this point. Fold in chips.

Divide batter evenly in prepared muffins cups.  Fill 3/4 full.
My mother always added a few chips on top and a sprinkle of sugar.

I use a cookie scoop since I can never eyeball it to make it even in the cup.
Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes.  I like the edges just barely brown.
 My family always likes things under cooked more that over cooked so I watch them carefully.
You can always do the tooth pick test.
I like to make them in the mini muffin tins also.
One recipe makes about a dozen, depending on how full you fill the cups.  Any extra I put in the mini tins.  If making all mini muffins it makes about 36.

No comments:

Post a Comment